In any case, I am quite strong in the belief that online therapy is a far superior path than no treatment at all!The benefits of online counseling include the following:
- Sessions can be conducted in the comfort of your own home.
- There is no traffic to deal with and no time spent trying to get to an office location.
- Related to traveling to an office is the concern about those living in remote areas or in a location where there is difficulty getting to professionals who specialize in their particular needs. This problem then usually becomes a non-concern as the only location limits are state lines (due to clinician licenses).
- The weather usually does not matter, which has been absolutely necessary during this winter we are experiencing here in Illinois!
- If there happens to be a contagious illness happening with the client (or therapist) there is no fear about passing that onto the other person.
- Childcare issues are non-existent or at least significantly lessened. If it is determined that a sitter will be needed, it is for a much shorter period due to having no driving time adding to the total.
- Home-bound and handicapped clients can receive professional attention like those who are fortunate enough to be able to get to an office.
- If there is something at a client’s home that would be helpful in the assessment or treatment (such as specific food choices in the pantry or a closet needing organizing) it can easily be seen via videoconference.
- The chances of missing an appointment are much less, due to several of the above factors, plus the online therapy platforms most therapists utilize send multiple appointment reminders to clients typically on the same device as what will be used to enter the session.
Gina L Spielman, LCSW, CH
Certified Mental Health Integrative Medicine Provider
Gina L. Spielman LCSW and Associates
Original Post February 14, 2019 – Why Choose Online Therapy?
Author: The Blueprint for Vibrant Health
Gina Spielman enjoys helping clients with depression, grief/loss, life transitions, coping with chronic physical illness, holistic and self-healing techniques, stress and pain reduction, spirituality, and relationships. She believes people can heal from almost anything, if they are open to it and work towards their goals in a positive way. She takes a holistic approach to therapy and healing – mind, body, and spirit. Call 1-630-212-704 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a consultation. Visit Gina Spielman’s Profile