Does my insurance cover this?
Whether I meet a client online or in my office, this is one of the first questions clients ask me, usually after “are you licensed?” The answer is the same, and that is “I am not sure, but I know how to find out.”
Whether you plan to see a counselor online or in their office, it is a good idea that you verify your insurance before your first appointment so that there are no surprises. Imagine how terrible it would feel to share your story and feelings and then be excited that you have found a counselor you like, only to find your insurance plan does not cover services or that you can’t afford the payments.
I think you can see the benefit of checking on your coverage before you bare your soul.
The steps to verify whether your visits are covered are the same whether you plan to see a counselor online or in an office. You should contact your insurance company and ask the following questions:
Does my plan cover Mental Health Benefits?
- What is my Mental Health Deductible? – It may be separate from your medical deductible.
- Have I met my deductible? If not, how much have I contributed towards my deductible.
- Do I have a Copayment or Coinsurance that will be due at the time of service?
- Are Online Therapy Services (Elemental Health Services) covered under my plan? (Many states require that insurance companies cover online services).
- Ask your insurance company if it requires the therapist to be part of a preferred provider network or if there are any limitations on whom you choose to receive therapy from.
- Is there a limit to the number of sessions?
It has never been more convenient to receive counseling, though it is a difficult decision to take the first step—but one that can change your life forever.
To find out more visit: https://itherapy.com/insurance/